<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Once in a while, a person is treated to the good life. Last Saturday, I was invited to attend one of my students', Kamille Grant's debut party. It was a grandiose affair. Food and beverage were not only overflowing but delicious, too. When I arrived at Carlo Mendoza's house, her boyfriend, where the party was taking place, I was greeted by my students. They seem to have been pleased I showed up. I didn't know what to expect as this was the first debut party I was attending alone -- not only that, I was requested to be the first dance in the 18 roses ceremony. (I think the dad is in the States)

Anyway, the coordinator talked to me and coached me on what to do. Present the rose, walk her around the stage for everyone to see, dance with her and wait for the next guy who will tap my shoulder. As easy as that. The only thing was the dance floor was a makeshift one above the pool - I imagine it was the deepest part. I can tell by the looks of the tiles. I was thinking, "What if I miss my step and we both come crushing down the pool?" That would really be humiliating. hehehe.

Kamille was very beautiful that night. Her light make-up was just right for her clothes. Her presentation was accompanied by an incredible fireworks display. I was thinking if that was such a good idea as the people were watching the fireworks instead of her. Hmmm, maybe not, I don't know.

The following day, Kuya Ben asked me to go with his family to Eagle's Ridge, an exclusive club with all the facilities you can imagine. He was meeting friends who were proposing that they get a shared unit. It had the biggest golf course in Asia with 72 holes. Four different golf courses designed by golf champions like Dye, Palmer, etc. The clubhouse was impeccably designed to house several swimming pools, a spa, gym, bowling alleys, billiard halls, a theater, the works. We ate lunch at Tagaytay and there, they signed the reservation form.

At around 8:30 pm, Kuya Ben asked me to join him for a massage at the spa. That was the icing on the cake. Although we went home at 12:30 am, it was still a welcome respite from the hustles and bustles of my everyday job.

This weekend made me realize that it just is amazing how people can live luxuriously amid the hardships, the economic turmoil most of the Filipinos are experiencing. My question is, does it matter to the masses if they can't afford these luxuries? is the adage, "What one doesn't know, won't hurt him" true?

If you need further assistance please see this
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?